One way we can access an oasis for our souls is by serving!
Oasis– A place that provides refuge, relief, or pleasant contrast.
Acts 20: 34-35 – You yourselves know that these hands of mine have supplied my own needs and the needs of my companions. In everything I did, I showed you that by this kind of hard work we must help the weak, remembering the words the Lord Jesus himself said, “It is more blessed to give than receive.”
- The Kingdom mentality does not say how can you serve me, but how can I serve you?
- Jesus himself did not come to this world to BE SERVED, He came TO SERVE!
- As we give of our service, we actually set ourselves up to be blessed. That’s why it’s MORE BLESSED to give than receive.
As we take on the serving mentality of Jesus, great results are produced in our life. The scriptures teach us that as we begin to serve with the right heart and the right motivation, we can tap into an oasis for our souls. Here are couple insights to remember about serving:
1) Serving Should Never Replace Your Relationship With God.
We read a story in Luke chapter 10 where Jesus went to the house of Mary and Martha for dinner.
- Martha was distracted with much serving.
- Mary just sat at the feet of Jesus and fellowshipped with Him.
- Martha got mad and said Lord, don’t you care that my sister has left me to do all this serving alone?
Luke 10:41-42 – “Martha, Martha”, the Lord answered, “you are worried and upset about many things, but few things are needed or indeed only one. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her.”
- Jesus was trying to communicate something very important: Do not get so distracted in your serving that you forget THE ONE whom you are serving.
2) Serving Takes Our Focus From Me to We
Philippians 2:3-4 – Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, Rather, in humility value others above yourselves. not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of the others.
The Christian walk is not just what I can get, but it’s about what I can give back.
- If we get in the habit of only receiving, we become stagnant. We become dull and stop growing!
- We must reject the mentality that it’s all about me! It’s not all about ME, it’s about WE!
- We must ask ourselves, “how can I serve and be a blessing to others?”
- As we allow God’s grace and goodness to flow through us, we get blessed in the process.
- This is why at Journey Church we say that saved people serve people and serving people are often the most satisfied people!
- Serving others produces humility and it provides purpose.
- Serving will help you look more like Christ and take the focus from ME TO WE!
Call to Action
You don’t have to wait to begin serving. You don’t need a title to serve, you can start serving right now. As you do, you are being obedient and following the example of Jesus. Jesus said, when you do this, you are blessed!
- My prayer is that you would ask God how you can begin to serve?
- Ask God to shift your attitude from it is all about me, to it’s all about we.
- I pray as you begin to serve, you will find refreshing, relief, and a pleasant contrast from your current situation!