The question is how do we fight toxic thinking, and not just fight it, but how do we cultivate healthy or wholesome thinking so that it begins to produce godliness in our lives. Studying and learning how to deal with the toxicity in our daily lives can teach us to break free from some of those toxic and destructive habits. Buckle up as we tackle a worldly issue that touches each of us daily.
- During this series we’re discussing mental issues, like how we deal with stress, anxiety, depression, and being burnt out.
- We will touch on toxic thinking and how that effects your life.
- I hope in this series we can answer some of these questions.
Knowing how to come against toxic thinking is so important because toxic thinking will lead to toxic living. Proverbs 4:23, “Above all else, guard your heart, for everything you do flows from it”. Proverbs 23:7 states “As a man thinks in his heart so is he”. These scriptures enforce that our lives are simply a reflection of our thought life. I’m not talking about the person people see, I’m talking about the person that people don’t see, who we really are! Look at your life? Are there things you don’t like? Are there things you are convicted of? Well part of that change really begins with changing your mind, (thoughts) first. Because it all begins up Here! (In the Mind)
Retrain your brain (Renew your mind)
Romans 12:1-2, Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God. This is your true and proper worship. Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is; his good, pleasing, and perfect will”.
- It says be transformed by renewing your mind, by changing the way you think.
- I can pray and read my Bible, but if I don’t allow these things to change my mindset, and renew my mind; I’m not going to see much change in my life.
Re-up your resources (keep putting the word in)
We know that when Jesus was tempted by the devil in Matthew 4 Jesus responded back with the word of God:
- When the devil said if you truly are the son of God, Turn these stone into bread. Jesus responded by saying, “man shall not live by bread alone”.
- When the devil said to Jesus, if you are the Son of God “throw yourself down, for it is written, He will command his angels concerning you, and they will lift you up in their hands, so that you will not strike your foot against a stone”. Jesus answered him, “It is also written, Do not put the Lord your God to test”.
- The point is, in every temptation and every toxic thought that the devil tried to trip Jesus up with, Jesus was able to reply back with the word and will of God.
- It’s time to re-up on your resources! Get the word of God in you so when you’re tempted or when you have those toxic thoughts, you can declare the truth of God over your life. (Talk Resources)
Replace the space (don’t just try to stop thinking or acting a certain way, replace it)
Ephesians 4:22-24, “You were taught, with regard to your former way of life, to put off your old self, which is being corrupted by its deceitful desires. To be made new in the attitude of your minds. And to put on the new self, created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness.
- Notice the language in this text, it talks about putting off the old self but it also talks about putting on the new self.
- So, we can take off the toxic thinking, but we need to put on some positive thinking.
- So many times I think we only fight half the battle, we work really hard to take off the toxic thinking, bad attitudes, and sinful habits. But that’s where we stop!
- That is only half the command, God says, yes take off these things, but replace them with what I have for you!
Are you getting it, don’t just try to turn off toxic thinking, you’ve got to replace that space within your mind with God’s truth. Give your anxiety, and depression to Jesus. Phillippians 4:6-7 tells us this, “Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace which transcends all understanding, will guard your heart”.
- It begins with knowing Christ, we can’t fight this battle without Him. Do you know Him personally?
- Maybe it means identifying an area you are struggling in and finding resources to help you. Write a scripture on a card. Place that scripture on your mirror, in your car, or in your locker. Place it anywhere you can view it a couple times each day.
- Perhaps you need to commit to a regular daily devotion.
- Begin journaling what God is speaking to you and meditate on your journal.
- Maybe you want to join a small group or serve team.
What is all of this doing, it is getting the word in you so that you can be prepared to battle those toxic feelings and thoughts. Whatever it may be, I pray that you let God have His will and His way in your life. If anyone has questions about how to make Jesus the Lord of your Life or need some help getting plugged in a position of service for Jesus, please don’t hesitate to reach out to me.
I Love each of You In the sweet name of Jesus,