Romans 12:17-20, NKJV
What not to do with the crazies in your family.
- Don’t avoid the person, and any and all situations, but learn to set limits and boundaries.
- Don’t give in and surrender every time, you can’t always give in and let them have their way.
- Learn to pick your battles—make sure it’s worth the battle.
- Insights to remember when picking your battles:
- You can win the battle and lose the war—what is the long-term effect.
- You are responsible for how you treat others.
- You may not be responsible for how they treat you.
- You are responsible for how you react to those who are difficult.
- Manage your own emotions well—stop trying to control the emotions of the other person.
- Focus on solutions not who’s going to win.
What to do with the crazies in your family.
- Don’t allow jealousy to become the real problem.
- Jealousy – When you have all that you ought to have or need, but you still want what someone else has.
- Envy is when you want something someone else has that you don’t have. Genesis 37:3-4, NLT
- Most parents have favorites.
- Insights about favorites: You might have a favorite, but you must be fair; Showing favoritism is fatal.
- The danger of jealousy. Numbers 5:14, NKJV
- Causes us to do and say things we are sorry for –love causes us to do and say things we are proud of.
- Brings bondage—love brings freedom.
- Damages relationships—love heals and builds relationships.
- Always wants to take and get – love always wants to give.
- Is natural—love is supernatural. Proverbs 14:30, NLT; James 3:14-16, NLT
- Don’t cause the jealousy. Genesis 37:3-4, NLT
- Showing favoritism causes other family members to respond wrong because of jealousy.
- Entitlement always brings jealousy.
- Just because something is true does not mean you need to share it with those it might hurt. Genesis 37:5-8, NLT
How do we overcome jealousy?
- Remember God is the source of meeting all your needs.
- Remember God is your Redeemer – Avenger, Deliverer. Job 19:25, NKJV
- Remember jealousy brings damage.
- Remember love can overcome jealousy.