Resources Mentioned in this Message
Exceptional Things You Can Do To Have an Exceptional Marriage
Songs of Songs 5:16, NKJV; Proverbs 5:18-19, NKJV
To have a Great Marriage you will have to know what real Biblical Love is.
- There is a difference between love and
- (Genuine Love) Please see insert.
- Lust is using someone as an instrument for your own satisfaction.
Three types of Love; each have a different meaning.
- Eros Love – a need love; based upon physical attraction and fulfillment; marriages cannot be sustained by eros love alone. Proverbs 5:15-19, NKJV
- Phileo Love – a friendship love; sharing of time, activities, the home, hobbies, and other objects of common fellowship. Romans 12:9-13
- Agape Love – a giving love; one loves even when the other doesn’t respond as expected; self-giving in meeting real needs of the other with the purpose of helping the person to become a better, more mature individual. 1 Corinthians 13:4-8, NLT
- Agape Love + Phileo Love + Eros Love = Godly marriage that will last.
Exceptional marriages take doing some exceptional things.
- You can’t have exceptional relationship apart from an exceptional relationship with God. Psalm 127:1, NKJ
- Exceptional is doing life together with Jesus being the center of your relationship. Matthew 6:33, NKJV
- Whatever you prioritize will have
- You have to have exceptional self-acceptance.
- You have to know and believe ‘Who you are in Christ.’
- Get your acceptance, security, and significance from Christ or you will try to get it from others.
- Fix your hopes and dreams on God and seek to please Him through your relationship.
- You have to become exceptionally unselfish. 1 John 4:7-8, NKJV
- Selfishness is at the heart of most problems between people.
- Due to lack of self-awareness we often miss how selfish we really are. James 4:1-3, NLT2
- Selfishness robs our joy with God and others.
- The way to overcome selfishness is the love of Christ in you.
- Christ’ love leads us to wanting the best for the other person.
- You have to be exceptionally forgiving. Romans 12:17-19, NKJV
- Forgiveness is not weakness; it is a way to power.
- It takes exceptional financial principles.
- It takes two totally committed to financial principles to have an exceptional marriage.
- Don’t spend more than you make.
- Make a budget together.
- Tithe 10%, save 10%, spend 80%.
- Financial principles lead to financial freedom. Matthew 6:21, NKJV
- It takes exceptional moral freedom. 1 Corinthians 6:18, NKJV; Hebrews 13:4, NCV
- Don’t be flirting with the opposite sex.
- It takes exceptional purpose in life. Matthew 6:33-34, NKJV
- Jesus is our only true source of meeting all our needs; everyone else is simply a conduit used by God.
- It takes exceptional harmony with authorities.
- If you’re not in harmony with your authorities, you will have problems being in harmony with the Ultimate Authority, Jesus Christ and His Word. Romans 13:1-5, NKJV; NIV
- It takes exceptional faithfulness. (Not giving up) Galatians 6:9-10, NKJV